AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New house construction...basement under the garage??? Pic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Paul 777
Posted 2/8/2012 09:44 (#2213483 - in reply to #2212657)
Subject: Re: New house construction...basement under the garage??? Pic

W. Central MN
I have a 26X30 garage with a room under it. Poured 6" concrete floor in the garage with rebar at 1'X2' Carpenter had a buddy that moved houses so borrowed screw jacks and set them under 2X12 floor joists for additional support until concrete dried. I also have a wall running cross ways for support and to divide the room underneath. We "could have" removed the joists and divider but decided to leave them in......just in case. 18 years and the only crack is above the divider wall; it settled less than the perimeter walls. I use half for cold storage and the other half as a rec room/extra bed room.

The 45 degree slope into the garage can be exciting in the winter, even with the 30X30 flat "landing zone" before entering the garage. Yes, it was the least expensive room in the house. Spancrete was too expensive, it was poured concrete or forget it. Picture a split-foyer house with the garage same height as the upper level. We love it, one step up into the house with groceries, babies, wheel chairs, etc; the lower level is 4' into the ground. Upstairs and downstairs windows, walls, ceilings, etc are same dimensions, only difference is distance to the ground when looking out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)