AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas that Didn't Work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Virginia Veg.
Posted 1/20/2010 20:37 (#1032907 - in reply to #1032575)
Subject: 86 series IH tractors.

Eastern VA. No such thing as too many Magnums.
Of the many oddities of these timeless beasts, I think the left hand "sure grind" transmission controls were the best. Following close behind were the spectacular T/A that we finally wired into high to avoid more repair. Backwards opening doors were neat. The wonderful leaning front spindles that wore out the outside of the front tires were a real treat. The round pipe front axles were a joke, not to mention the ball and socket bolster. The starter under the floorboard was a particularly handy location. The fuel tank in the rear was quite handy for the elderly and good for everyone to get their clothes filthy while refueling standing on the lift arms. I also like the humungous engine oil fill and the teeny hydraulic oil fill, I always thought that was backwards. (they continued this family tradition into the Magnums)

Having said all that, I always liked the engines. They would practically always start. I also liked that they were fast on the highway. I love our Magnums, but I'll take a 4440 over a 1086 anyday.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)