AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you use starter fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 12/14/2009 18:38 (#966288 - in reply to #966134)
Subject: RE: Do you use starter fertilizer?

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
gbfarmer - 12/14/2009 17:15

We went through a period(about 3 years) where we did not use starter. Our yields were not hurt, but our corn was wetter because it was farther behind. Don't know if there would be much of a difference in parts of the country where the growing season is longer. We plant sweet corn for a canning company and the last of that is planted in June and two years now on that late planted sweet corn we have run out of started for the season. Both years the part of the field without started has tasseled a week later than the rest of it. You would think that being planted that late and as warm as the ground is it would not make a difference, but it did.

I agree with you if you do not have an adequate Broadcast program ? That is set up for and compliments a " No Row Fertilizer program "

Now many of the farms I work with have not used row for 20 plus season's, some 5 and some 10 Plus. Ed will tell you from his personal Observations that these fields were ahead of Most and even ahead of many South of Columbus.

I can also say that the moisture on said fields was as low as or lower, ( My clients would BULK ! ) If Not
We grow 100% 109 to 113 day corn and concentrate on planting ALL Race horse hybrids.

We are In a zone where it is quite common to have 25% 95 day corn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)