AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you use starter fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 12/13/2009 12:24 (#963979 - in reply to #963835)
Subject: Re: Do you use starter fertilizer?

Aberdeen MS
Lance,

I think too many are tossing "starter" out there without incorporating into a complete "package" of nutrients. By that I mean, applying a rate on P & K fit for production return and then adding starter for an "insurance" policy.

I used to put down 20-28-0 in a 2 X 2 to the row for years and years. It was part of the "package". Complimented the 25 or so units broadcast in the fall as plowdown. Many times forget to turn the tanks on in the field, could see difference in crop height from a squeeze pump handling 10 rows (closest to the pump looked great...end rows you wanted to hide in the field). Grain tank in the combine never really changed any picking 6 while planting 10.

That was all in the days before YM in the combine. Always just treated the field as a field, so no side by sides for drier corn at harvest either.

Starter, in row, pop up.... call it as you wish, is still applying nutrients to the soil for crop production. Does it add to the application year for an ROI?????? It might or it might not, for myself, it's insurance. Once the seed is in the ground, it's a bit difficult to come back depending on weather conditions.

Take a look at all the planter attachments to "enhance" yield. Have to give the plant the best chance possible to get established.... move the residue, accurate depth placement, don't pack the seed trench on closing....the list goes on and on and on.

Why wouldn't a grower spend a bit more on further insurance nutrient wise????????? When one purchases insurance, it's done with the hopes to never collect on it, but grateful it's there when needed. IMO, as long as you aren't "over applying" the nutrients, applying in close proximity to the seed is never wasted. Sometimes giving you more bang for the buck than broadcasting. But that's another thread that's had the dead horse killed over and over again on these pages. No reason to do it again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)