AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you use starter fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sri
Posted 12/12/2009 20:53 (#963051 - in reply to #962360)
Subject: RE: Do you use starter fertilizer? yes and no

nw pa

Just the way it's always been done here. After having our own test plots(mostly mistakes) . I sometimes wonder. Sheared a pin on the fertilizer drive last year. One side fertilizer one side not. Combine didn't notice any difference or couldn't see a difference. Not very scientific. But through the years we have had a few of these plots. One year ran out of starter on a weekend it was supposed to rain and didn't. Planted anyway and spread later. All turned out good.

We don't no-till though and that can make a difference,that and a lot of ground is not built up enough to supply the crop. I would say on decent ground with high fertility that is dry,go for it. Going to do more ourselves,out in the back where only I have to look at it.

Many say that you have to use starter,many of these fail because it's not just starter they are missing but any kind of fertilizer except nitrogen.Planter chain comes off and it is the worst part of the field. Stands to reason if they didn't go back and put on what it needs.

My feeling is that if you have the growing season and the nutrients there the corn will get it. No-till seems to take slightly longer. where seasons are short and time is of more value,starter probably pays.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)