AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Unhappiness in farming posts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

swne
Posted 6/4/2023 06:27 (#10256160 - in reply to #10255854)
Subject: RE: Unhappiness in farming posts?

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
Good take on it. I try not to worry about things out of my control like the weather. Just deal with the consequences and plan as much as you can.
Thinking about the what ifs can drive you crazy too. Case in point is our wheat crop this year. For various reasons we drilled twice as many acres as we normally do. We were very dry last fall but managed to get a couple showers that added up to an inch last September. Wheat came up with a perfect stand. Didn’t get any more moisture until mid December. A lot of the wheat went backwards. Had some die last fall. Got a little moisture during the winter to give hope our weather pattern was changing for the better. Then no moisture from February until early May. The wheat really got hurt some more. Thinned it out and then did catch some very good rains during May totaling 5”. We have had perfect grain fill weather and it looks to continue. Looks like we will salvage about half a crop. If only we could have had an inch of rain last October and another inch in late March or early April, we would be looking at the best crop ever. And the price is fairly good too.
And anything above where we are at now would would have been mostly profit. The absence of those 2 potential rain events will cost me the potential of at nearly a million or more. Could have been quite a game changer. That’s frustrating! But we can’t lose what we never had.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)