AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whos Precision Farming System is most user friendly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Arnie
Posted 12/11/2006 09:47 (#72248 - in reply to #71613)
Subject: Nothing new under the sun.

As I read the postings I have to say there is nothing new under the sun. The industry is going through the same thing with "standards" today like "ISO Bus xxxxx" as it did when it debated shape file issues and the associated "dbf file" then before that with "ASCII text" and about the same time or so with db9 "pin out" usage. And excuse me but I have failed to mention XML and FODM and ..............The ISO bus hardware and connections maybe getting standardized BUT everyone wants their own "protocol" running on it. Then back during shape file discussions no one could agree on dbf file attribute "headers" let alone what projection and datum they were done in. Let's go back even further to the ASCII text days and db9 pin out issues. About the only thing that people could agree on are pins 3,5, & .......before "some industry leaders" decided to apply 12Volts to an "unused" pin thus smoking someone else’s "used" pin. I maybe seeking out the "good old days" but about the only concept that has survived that most every software vender can deal with and every hardware purveyor of primary color can provide if they choose to do so is a simple location on earth (lat, long) and some data values like speed, heading, moisture, draft, rpm, soil conductivity1,2,3............and other values like.........x,y,z.If everyone wants to play their own proprietary value game let them play it but after that perhaps one should take a cue from some horizontal market dominating forces like say Microsoft as to how they "export" their value to the guy on the back 40. Heck way back when my dad had to develop his own hardware work around interface to mate up ISO hydraulic tips and couplers......with non ISO tips and couplers after he dealt with pipe thread and/or SAE fine thread issues or excuse me "standards". My belabored point to all of this is the implement purveyor that chooses to make its value readily EXPORTABLE and available to the farmer of any color (and his software of choosing) will be the shining light for the industry that customers should gravitate to. What clouds this romantic idea is that over the many years of "precision ag" the people that had an open architecture mind set have closed it and the closed mind set has somewhat opened theirs. It is up to us customers to hold these people to a higher "standard". In closing I have to confess I am a member of the "rainbow" crowd because I buy things that do the job at the time I need them rather than dangle in the wind with marketing promises. I have a cluttered cock pit of a cab but so be it. Good luck to you and the industry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)