AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whos Precision Farming System is most user friendly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 12/9/2006 23:40 (#71761 - in reply to #71613)
Subject: Re: Whos Precision Farming System is most user friendly?

roaming
All my experience has been with the Case IH AFS system. Their desktop software is identical to Ag Leader's SMS Basic, which is widely considered an industry leader. IMHO, it's not the most user-friendly software, but it's powerful and compatible with AFS, original Greenstar, New Holland, Midtech, Trimble, Flexicoil, etc. Not compatible with Agco, because Agco won't allow Ag Leader access to their file format information.

I haven't heard anything good about Apex yet, except that it is the only software out there that can come close to processing GS2 files.

The AFS hardware is very user-friendly. I can't say it's the most user-friendly, because I don't have anything to compare it to, but operating the system is very straightforward. Case IH is introducing two new color displays on their 07 combines and planters. The smaller display has limited features and is not a touchscreen; from the limited experience I've had with it, it's not particularly easy to navigate. But, I'm used to a touchscreen. The larger color display is a touchscreen. It runs different firmware from the old monochrome displays, and there is a learning curve, especially on the new 7010 and 8010 combines. LOTS of options and configurations. Again, I can't compare it to the Insight or the new color GS2 displays. I would assume that if they are very user-friendly, they may lack some of the configuration options that the AFS displays have. I could be wrong, but it's hard to have simplicity and complexity together in the same package.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)