AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whos Precision Farming System is most user friendly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 12/11/2006 04:42 (#72174 - in reply to #72121)
Subject: Standardize on software... or on hardware.

As you transition from Green to rainbow, you will have two options.   Select a short-line hardware vendor and use their recommended desktop product to match it, or select a software package that can work equally well with all of the key hardware platforms. 

Standardizing on hardware will reduce the amount of training effort in the field, as you'll be looking at the same platform in each machine, but as machines get more sophisticated, short-line hardware might start to limit access to the full suite of data/functions that are available in the machine-native hardware.  You'll also get less native support for your installations, but the short-line support is pretty good (and maybe better).   If you are including "yield mapping" in your suite of hardware goals, then the only short-line option is Ag Leader.  Otherwise, you have Trimble, Raven, and MidTech as the major players.

Personally, I think that Agco, AgLeader, and Deere hardware will be readily accessible by FarmWorks, AgLeader, and MapShots software as soon as each company gets over the hump of all the new hardware formats that got introduced in 2006.  I would stay away from software that is distributed by people that are not in the software business, though (note that I consider Ag Leader to be in the software business).  CNH and Cat (not the Agco cat) are the only iron companies that have not yet made their hardware accessible to our software.  CNH will let SMS read to and write from their formats, though, so if you are considering CNH iron, SMS is your only software choice.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)