AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Improving tilth, fertility and OM on a small piece of ground
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 5/7/2022 07:39 (#9650600 - in reply to #9646283)
Subject: RE: Improving tilth, fertility and OM on a small piece of ground

East Central Arkansas

Our garden area is about 100' x 200. So roughly about a half an acre. A silty clay loam soil is the best way to describe it I guess. It's on a hillside but many wouldn't notice what I call a hillside in our flat ground. It falls from high ground that doesn't flood from large rains to low ground that does and if that low ground didn't have drainage from a ditch it might be more of a frog and crawfish pond than a garden area. Over the years soil has been moved down the grade to help build up the lower end and in doing so has exposed soil in the cut area that has a lot of red clay to it. This is a very difficult soil to work with especially in a garden setting with small seeds and transplants. I tend to farm our garden like I do row crops. This is a very productive soil if you ever get anything up and growing. I have done the cover crops and letting areas lay out for the year but I still break everything under at some point. I would eventually like to fix up a newer style row crop planter, probably two row, that has a seed trench closing system that would allow me to plant no-till into cover or even just stale seed bed would be good. I currently have a old JD 51 cotton planter for garden use. It is disk opener but only had the drag shoes for covering in loose soil. We bed up our garden rows. One thing about bedding rows it gives you evenly spaced rows.

(20220504_074708[1] (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20220504_074708[1] (full).jpg (167KB - 38 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)