AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trickle down?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 9/20/2020 06:41 (#8505286)
Subject: Trickle down?

SW WI
Just some thoughts about cfap2. I probably should back up, my thoughts include MFP and cfap1, also. Sure, I’ve been a guy that shakes my head at that and have said wish we could get back to free markets, capitalism....some failing, I guess? Many have pointed out it’s probably long gone, Elvis has left the building. Deere6 pointed out he thought my way of thinking would lead to farming corporations just having a scorched earth policy. Steamrolling across the country, leading to the Walmartization of ag. No young guy would ever be able to enter farming, ever again. Maybe.....history does show that when you think about Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt to name a few.

But I thought of my early days. Any 1 remember PCA (Farm Credit..I.E. Compeer for the younger crowd) catalog of foreclosed farms they were trying to unload....I do. How’d a young guy with no money get going in the 80’s? Hand shake deal, work for room and board and a little else.....and a promise. Some of those deals worked out and some words weren’t honored ( my deal worked out). Different time, then. Guys that were nearing retirement couldn’t wait to draw SS at 59 1/2 and move to town. Now we got guys well into their 80’s with no thoughts of retirement. Seemed like the older generation at the time was “ready” to move on. It did create some opportunities for younger guys.

But along with that was a lot of pain. Small towns and businesses felt it. So now maybe all this government pumped $ does have a trickle down effect for a lot of our supporting cast. It looks that way around me.

I like seeing the other side of the argument. Doesn’t mean I agree completely, the world is definitely not black and white. The older I get the more gray there is to these issues, for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)