AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trickle down?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ricksitzmann
Posted 9/20/2020 07:26 (#8505359 - in reply to #8505286)
Subject: RE: Trickle down?

Iowa
Speaking of past generations being eager to retire. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My grandfather and uncle only being a year apart both retired at 62-63 years old. They retired right before the farm crisis. One owned a quarter and one an 80 both had livestock obviously for the times. Once they retired they moved to town and it was seldom they came back to the farm. They rented it to my dad but cash rent couldn't have been much.

They both lived in very nice middle class homes in town, both enjoyed a lot of vacations in their retirements, drove decent but modest vehicles. They lived into their 90s with what seemed like plenty of money... they were retired for 30 years! Social security, cash rent, and they must have had a pile in savings. I keep thinking about this they must have made good money (for the time) to be able to have non working wives and have enough to live comfortable for 30 years.

Im older than they were when they retired so I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I guess I could now live on cash rent and maybe I should give it up and rent to the next generation, but currently I enjoy it too much
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)