AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost of Living: If you lived like a different time, could you farm like a different time?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Red Paint
Posted 1/16/2019 10:29 (#7248828)
Subject: Cost of Living: If you lived like a different time, could you farm like a different time?

SW “Ohia”
Hello All,

I work off-farm in an office setting. The vast majority of my coworkers have never met a farmer, so when it somehow gets brought up that I farm part-time, I usually get a bunch of questions. The ongoing trade situation being in the news seems to compound this.

Yesterday I was asked about how actual “take home” pay from the farm varies. Of course this varies a lot operation to operation, but this person was curious about how much that is aggravating farm consolidation. I explained that there are MANY factors more influential than just wanting to make more pocket money. Still, it was an interesting discussion.

So, how about that as a question. If you look back through history, say
How has a typical farm in your area changed in size/yearly profit, and how have living expenses changed as well?

I think the latter has increased quite a bit due to a number of reasons (healthcare, inflation, “modern luxuries”) but I don’t think it’s nearly as influential towards farm growth compared to issues like shrinking profit margins or loss of markets.

My concluding statement was that even if you lived without a TV, burnt firewood, and ran a Farmall M, I don’t think you would be able to raise a family on 100 acres like in 1955. Thoughts?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)