AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cost of Living: If you lived like a different time, could you farm like a different time?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ricefarmer14
Posted 1/16/2019 12:12 (#7249066 - in reply to #7248828)
Subject: RE: Cost of Living: If you lived like a different time, could you farm like a different time?

East Arkansas
Red, good thought provoking post ...I could write about this all day but here goes. I think that what it takes to support a family takes way more acres and many more assets/cash flow. In college in the late 80’s I remember Farm Credit came to one of my classes and showed up with anonymous financials of a customer of theirs.

If I remember correctly this farmer had around 100k of equipment, rented his 800-1000 acres and was generating around 100k of income a year(at the time a high ranking bank official may have made 100k) My professor used this example to ask if it was prudent for our government to be supporting farmers like this. What my takeaway on this is that you can farm 5 times as much with 20 times the assets and maybe you can net the same income. I think our situation in this area is much worse than it was 30 years ago.

I think today’s AG requires a more educated, financials driven farmer than years ago...so this type of person won’t like making a lot less than his/her perceived value.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)