AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farmland Taxes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 10/12/2018 08:38 (#7042243 - in reply to #7042157)
Subject: RE: Farmland Taxes

Glenwood, Mn

paul the original - 10/11/2018 20:01 Between $45-50 an acre. They changed the way taxes are figured a decade or so ago, it’s less on houses, more on businesses now, made it too complex to understand. Many new schools have gone up since, as 1500 home owners and town renters can outvote 500 farmers. Dad really complained when taxes got near $30 an acre in late 70s. Paul

GEESH !!!!!   In the early 70's you could buy land for $75/acre here.  My grandfather purchased two quarters for around $25,000 total back then.  I still farm one of them with my uncle.

I guess I should feel blessed.  We live 1/2 mile from a resort type lake.  Our ag land taxes are roughly $11/acre.  It probably helps there are thousands of cabins/lake homes valued at a much higher value than the ag land to help pay the bills.  We also have two towns with about 5000 people total.

Interestingly enough, I farm the 80 that my uncle owns next to my home place.  It has a valuation of 50% higher than ours.  Granted it is closer to the lake by 1/4 mile (the width of the 80) but a full 50%.  Wow.  He purchased that land back in 1985.  We purchased the farm bordering his in 2017.  His is $20/acre in taxes.  Youch.  No wonder he complains about taxes.  I suppose if he went to the assessor to complain the logical move will be to raise ours to match his.  Haha.  He also own's the home place where Grandpa and all the kids lived.   The building site, bins, house etc is $10/acre total.  That is 5 miles from the town/lake.  So I guess you win some... you lose some.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)