AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did the American Farmer become an entitled "welfare mom"?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/19/2018 13:18 (#6996942 - in reply to #6996848)
Subject: RE: When did the American Farmer become an entitled "welfare mom"?

southern MN
Buck S - 9/19/2018 11:30

I hear you cluckin big chicken. The biggest welfare queens around here are all big farmers. They have taken millions in handouts so they can go tractor pulling or racing on the weekend all summer. They get all the big discounts from seed, fertilizer, chemical and equipment dealers, but that's not enough, they need their handout too cause "we need them". They use their savings to run up the rent on peons like me cause I am in their way.

Govt policy has put a STO like me at a competitive disadvantage for my entire farming career. The wreckless spenders will get bailed out this time around too and the gravy train will just keep going.

You remember or heard enough from the 80s I see.

Pretty much how it was around here, the banks got scared and called in the solvent loans to keep the banks afloat, and kept the poor operators on and restarted their operations bigger and better as we got to the other side.

Killed the little good operations, and saved the bullies from themselves.

It’s not all so black and white, and don’t care for 5 star’s attitude exactly, but can see his side of things.

The trouble is every developed govt in the world for millenniums has seen fit to tinker with ag for the best govt advantage, and that puts folk with dirty finger nails on a real unstable footing. There is no way to prepare for that in an otherwise competitive market. How do we balance that without some govt handouts along the way too.

Always a double edged sword. I wish I had answers.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)