AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is a young farmer going to make it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 9/18/2018 23:51 (#6995956 - in reply to #6995780)
Subject: RE: How is a young farmer going to make it?

Frytown, Iowa
farmall53 - 9/18/2018 22:01

I'm 30 now but started doing my own grains when I was 24, my folks own a small organic dairy farm all grass fed, I was working a full time job at the time along with on the farm nights and weekends, I applied for the first time farmer loan asked for 75k for equipment and a 25k yearly operating line , I had 100 acre's I rented (6 fields to make that 100) I purchased an international 1660 that had 7k hrs and had both heads, I located a jd 4255mfd with 9k hrs 2 states away, found a very worn jd 7000 planter, a 4btm plow, 17' disc and a grain cart .... I hired it out for spraying and sidedressing..and to give you an idea of my first year struggle I ordered all my 2x2 dry fertilizer in ton bags ... The only loader Tractor on my folks farm couldn't lift the bags high enough to fill the planter so I'd set the bags on my equipment trailer then bring it out to the field id fill the planter with a 5 gallon pail .... Really made me appreciate how nice having a tender wagon is now lol point being that is what I started with 6 years ago, I never bought anything shiny only what was needed and did 95%of my purchases at auction, as of a week ago I just purchased now my 3rd farm and have over 600ac between owned and rented, the only thing limiting ur success is your determination to succeed, the Biggest thing I wish I could have done/ do better is stop selling grains and do more marketing of it to capture better returns

Love it! This is it. Don’t do what everyone else is doing. Do something different!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)