AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

canada tariffs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jdironman
Posted 6/30/2018 09:33 (#6842377 - in reply to #6841777)
Subject: RE: canada tariffs

Nw Iowa
Kerber You use 2009 as a starting point just as we are coming out of recession. How could obamas numbers go down? Everybody likes to blame Bush, but his administration sent 17 letters to Fannie Mae that lending were getting way too loose. It was politically popular on both sides to have everybody to be able to buy their own house which is a good idea in thought but not such a good idea in reality. People went away from closings with no money down and 5000 or 10000 check. Many mortgages never had a payment made. I witnessed it first hand. Than Dodd- Frank decided to rewrite banking laws (which some of it needed to be done) but they also included all the little rural banks in regulations that kept their nose clean and added all kinds of cost to housing loans which in a effect stopped a lot of loans on small cheaper houses that we have in our rural towns because banks either had too much expense in making loans and servicing them or took too much risk in a fed exam that every i had been dotted. Same paperwork for a 30000 house as a 500000. I witnessed that first hand both selling houses and being on a local bank board. Killed local small house market because they were so hard to finance.
Now the democrats are supposed to be for the little guy. Mr obamas health care plan killed any chance of a small business in our small local towns of succeeding. In Minnesota first of all if you are a small independent businessperson I don't know how you can get health ins any more as all insurers have dropped it but if you do get it you are around 20000 for two middle aged people, plus policy will have a 6500 deductible. How many small businesses can support a 20000+ health care costs before they can eat or pay rents or payments say for instance on a small hardware store. This probably should be in political column but the tariffs are part of the market right now and to look back and say Obama administration as good for farmers just because he didn't rock the boat and ignored the problem and in fact added more cost to our bottom line is ignoring the facts. If boat isn't rocked nothing will change. Trump may fail and I certainly don't always agree with his methods but he is looking at a problem that is out of control and doing something about it. The advantage he has is that he is so unconventional that these other governments can't figure him out. He doesn't bow to political pressure every time. I don't think he cares if he gets reelected. I am sure not in love with the guy but he is taking on problems that no wanted to tackle. He ha always had to deal with real problems that he had to deal with that took real money, not a political organizer who thought government should fix everything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)