AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

risky dryland beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

versatile875
Posted 12/4/2016 12:27 (#5675085)
Subject: risky dryland beans

Western OK
ive done dryland beans twice. one year barely break even the next time one of my most valuable crop that year. i know most of you will laugh at the yeilds.

1st time- planted may 20th on 36in rows 110000. full tillage. light fertilizer. looked awesome all year until the rain quit and we broke the record for days over 100 degrees. they made 12 bushel at 13bucks- break even at best

2nd time- no-till drilled july 20th on 10in rows 78000. double crop behind 45bu wheat. zero fertilizer. sprayed it once at planting and once later for weeds- 15bushel at around 9.50 to 10

they both grossed about the same, but i had way less dollars in the double crop i dont remember what group # or variety i planted, i just told my monsanto buddy to pick me out a winner....

well were going to try full season beans again, and im just looking for some tips on group#, varieties, and just general info on what guys in similar situations do. the ground is sitting idle now, cows grazing milo stalks and cover crops off of it, what are some of you guys recommendations for doing "risky" dry land beans?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)