AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

risky dryland beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 12/5/2016 09:58 (#5677199 - in reply to #5676579)
Subject: RE: Hopefully, Crowbar will jump in here, but I'm willing...

Hazelton, Kansas

I usually start planting or drilling beans on about May 10, and try to be finished by the end of May. But I sometimes run into June. I try to have DC beans in the ground by July 4.

I usually put 5-10 gpa of 10-34 liquid near (but not with) the seed. The planter puts the fertilizer ~4-6" under the seed, and the drill puts it 4" beside the seed. However, I put out some replicated plots last year that found no yield difference between this and no fertilizer at all, so I may skip fertilizer this year and up the phosphorous a little on other crops. Our soil test P is generally medium-high.

For years, Asgrow 4831 was my favorite bean, but I've basically switched to Asgrow 3931. Plus three new numbers for next year. Varieties seem to be changing fairly fast. 3931 is a short, tough bean that usually doesn't look very prosperous. But it often beats my other beans, sometimes by a lot. It's top potential, if it rains, can be in the 80s, even at under 100k populations.

And I didn't mean to offend you with the grazing comments, but I truly believe grazing milo stalks ahead of planting beans will end up being some really expensive cow feed.

Where are you located? "Western OK" covers a lot of terrain.

Regards.

MDS

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)