AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

risky dryland beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

matt suco
Posted 12/4/2016 19:41 (#5676156 - in reply to #5675836)
Subject: RE: risky dryland beans

Rome, KS
I usually plant a late 3 to mid 4, mostly early to mid 4's. The late 3's are planted where I know it's going to be planted to wheat. I don't start planting until the 10th of June. If I could plant them all on 1 day it would be June 20. But again, that's here, 45miles south of wichita.
The other guys are right on residue. You cannot, I repeat, you cannot have enough residue to plant beans into. My first accidental experiment with this was when I got rained out in March spraying some volunteer wheat and cheat that was to go to beans. Didn't get back to finish until everything had headed out. Planted normal time for here and like most summers the rain shut off after the 4th of July. Didn't rain much until Labor Day. Come harvest time, you could tell right to the line where the wheat/cheat had headed. Much better with more residue. This was one of those low teen yields.
Talk with some guys south of you that plant cotton. They may give you some pointers on residue benefits.
I don't know enough on planter versus drill. K-State studies show in our low yield environment, 30" rows don't hurt yield. I do know my planter is much more accurate at seed depth and population than my drill. Seed cost is less with the planter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)