AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic shown to be a hoax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Doug W
Posted 7/29/2015 15:07 (#4706179 - in reply to #4706024)
Subject: RE: Link is to an Opinion Piece...

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Marv:

I've seen both - I have seen people who were organic farmers that did "go off the deep end" - but for the most part they were in the minority - What I could never understand was how they got to be established in the farming community in the first place - because to me, and in the majority of certified farmers that I've met - they realized that being part of the community was pretty important...

I have seen when there's a critical mass of organic producers together that the more (left wing??) attitude would come out - but I've also seen the stance that I think you alluded to in your post - that "Organic means you grow to a prescribed set of procedures - its these procedures, (buffer strips, equipment clean outs, no prohibited substances, etc)" that defines that the crop produced is organic. It does not mean that its pesticide free, potentially GMO free, etc.

The whole debate on whether its "better" or not is one that I could get easily called out on - our household doesn't hold to buying organic - sometimes yes - but often no - if I had the choice between north American grown produce conventionally grown, and Asian grown organic I'd hands down go for the North American product - particularly US, since I'm pretty sure the conventional inspection and control (and the potential impact of litigation for a producer that breaks the rules) is far more stringent than certain other countries.

Back to the question of where the mis-information comes from - I think there are way too many people who do speak without thinking on many sides of the argument - I'm not a fan of polarized debates - I think rationale arguments, even though they take a while to be heard - are still the best ones to make.

I had the chance years ago to speak at an ag event about our reasons for certifying organic - here's the essence of my points from then, and I still hold to them.
1. The (Canadian, but applicable across the line) food system is safe - we have multiple regulations and standards that ensure high food quality.
2. "Some people believe that organic food is healthier" - I neither support or argue against this statement
3. Arguably the biggest beneficiary of our farm being organic were my family as the farm operators - there were certain aspects - financially (lower input costs, higher margins) and environmental (we liked that we did not have to handle chemicals, or chemical equipment).

There's a whole 'nother part to this story - we had to reduce our acres, and move a good portion of our farm into conventional production because of increasing noxious weeds as well as some personal issues - so that is another reality - just as you might not take antibiotics every day - one is pretty grateful they're available when you need them - there are times when the best intentioned organic producer might have to transition land out of organic to address a potential weed "epidemic"

Hope that helps - please let me know if I should clarify anything

Cheers

Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)