AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vertical tillage and equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Sprout
Posted 8/12/2006 16:15 (#35064 - in reply to #35052)
Subject: ?'s for Jim and Chad

I respect both your opinions so I would ask if both of you could tell me how you would approach a certain field that I want to plant to 2nd year corn in '07. I'm going to knife in hog manure between the harvested rows of corn (worked great in the past) this fall. The custom applicators usually leave a shallow depression with small berms to each side of the slot after applying. I'd like to run shallow with some type of strip machine to level and create an ideal environment for planting before ground freezeup and just plant next spring using my rowcleaners on the planter to clear any debris or residue. My problem is the whole field is fairly sloping and I don't want to lose my soil to runoff. I plant as best I can in a contour fashion but no matter what some rows always run uphill. From some of Jim's posts it doesn't sound like his tool would leave a cut edge to cause a water run. Was there an extreme reason why you had washing Chad or from your experience would you expect erosion to be the norm on uneven ground? My wife wants me to reduce fuel usage more but I can't no-till into the manure slot, too variable and it would wash in those slots. I sure could tell where the corn started over the manure this spring, very big and robust compared to corn between slots so I would like to plant all of the corn directly over the manure to get a "starter effect". If additional N is needed what would be the best way to handle that? I prefer to sidedress with a liquid bar after the corn gets about a foot tall but I'm not sure if it would go through the old cornrow without problems. Any other ideas or comments because I am looking at a long term approach for all my acres that helps my bottom line without damaging the land for future generations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)