AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vertical tillage and equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad
Posted 8/12/2006 15:25 (#35052 - in reply to #35019)
Subject: Re: vertical tillage and equipment

NW Iowa
Thought I would give my input here also since we tried both striptilling and vertical tillage. Last year when the conditions were real wet we ended up unhooking the striptill unit and hooking up to a GP turbotill. We had major problems getting through our corn stalks with the striptill machine. Plugged several times a round. Tried many different settings with the units, still no luck. After that we hooked up to the turbotill just to get things aired out. Didn't plug the machine once. Only thing we noticed was the rolling basket was full when we got done. Next morning came back and planted it. We got lucky and got some rain after it was planted, otherwise both what was turbotilled and striptilled would have been a mess.
Last fall when combining there was no difference between the striptilling or turbotilling. No benefit in yeild either way.
We have some relatives that have been using the turbotill for about 4-5 years now. I'm not totally impressed with the way it works. They have a hard time getting the wheel tracks out in the spring. They've added a lot of weight on the machine, which has helped, but still have a hard time with penetration.
As far as the strips made in the fall and spring. That probably depends on your location. We did fall strips last year and ended up having major washing in the strips on our hills. We really liked the theory of the strips, but we were losing more top soil that way then conventional tillage.
Just thought somebody might find this information useful. Doesn't matter to be either way what people use. Just know what works and doesn't work for us. It comes from a farmers mouth, not a salesman!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)