AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vertical tillage and equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JDPlowboy
Posted 8/12/2006 11:34 (#34991 - in reply to #34947)
Subject: RE: vertical tillage and equipment

sw MN
I am also thinking about using one of these tools. I am leaning toward the GP Turbo Till but still not sure. I want something to replace the field cult. I would use it in soybean stubble (fall & spring) and to level cornstalk ground in the spring that has been v- ripped or mini moldboard plowed (for corn on corn) in the fall. I am not sure if any of these tools will level this. The GP rep told me that the Turbo Till with rolling harrow and reel is the way to go but even he doughted it's leveling ability. He said it may require two passes in the spring to level fall tilled ground.
My reason for wanting to move away from the field cult is: I have heavy black, sticky, and wet soil in spring and most springs are wet. I want something that can work in these conditions without leaving a compaction layer. If that GP Turbo Till leaves compaction like SHUCKS says then its not for me either. I know the compaction and slabs that a disk leaves here. A disk should never be used in the spring here. If a Turbo Till is any thing like this than it is not going to work here. Maybe I would be better off cutting the wings off my field cult shovels to leave uncomacted areas for the roots to go down and saving my money. This idea was talked about on the crop page here a few weeks ago. Good Luck and let us know how it works for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)