AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

start going to school board meetings!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

billw
Posted 12/16/2014 10:06 (#4243925 - in reply to #4242787)
Subject: RE: start going to school board meetings!!!

E. Kansas
There is nothing wrong with your post being in this forum.

If all costs of crop production are included (seed, chemicals, machinery operation, depreciation and repairs, etc), the cost per acre of the property taxes has to be there too, if you want a true financial representation of your expenses and (hopefully) profit. When I read that some guys are paying $100/acre for property taxes, I'm certain they are looking at ways to trim all other costs of productions to help offset the high property tax expense, and at the same time trying to maximize their profits. If you own the land, you're paying the taxes. If you rent it, your landlord is probably going to want the full amount of the taxes covered by your rent amount plus have money left over for them to use as they want.

When someone is running a business, trying to keep their costs under control, and still run a successful business, it is very aggravating to be paying money in taxes to an institution which does not seem to want to keep their costs under control, and wants more money each year. I could write pages of examples of spending by schools that do not show cost control, and I know many others here could do the same. The spending problem is not just local. It is all across the USA.

The general attitude for many years has been that you will be hurting the kids if any less money is ever suggested for a school. Why do the overall testing scores continue to decline, and yet more and more money is being received? The education system (in almost all areas) is in dire need of cost control, reform and restructuring.

Many school boards post the minutes of their meetings online. I always read those of our local school district and encourage everyone to read theirs. Contact your school board members to discuss if you want.

Also, the whole school financing needs to be overhauled. Divide the school system cost evenly across all dwelling places in the district. If it is truly a "public school system", make each dwelling place in the district pay their share for the school directly and evenly, not based on how much land is owned. There will be much more awareness of the school spending then, and the reckless spending will end when everyone is having to pay for it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)