AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This forum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 8/9/2011 08:13 (#1903824 - in reply to #1903689)
Subject: Re: This forum

Seems to me that in a post you made yesterday, you were the one accusing people of being dumb ("lights on, nobody home"?). I'm not saying the average user is dumb, but rather don't have the skill level that some of us on here have. Big difference. Microsoft does very little to cater to the masses that fit into that category.

As for your links... The first link pertains to things any user of any OS would need to do with a new out-of-the-box computer. Setting time zones, setting up user accounts, etc. If they are a Mac user and had been using MobileMe, it is as simple as logging the new computer into MM and letting it download all of the saved settings. If they didn't use MM, they would need to go through these steps like any other computer.

The difference is, once that step is complete, the Mac user is then ready to start using his or her machine. You offer up three additional links to steps you feel a PC user should take to optimize their new system. Much of this is way over the heads of many, if not most, of today's computer users. This is the exact reason the iPad is becoming such a popular device - it is dead SIMPLE to use. Even as easy as Mac OS is to use, it can still be intimidating to users who lack computer skills, but the iPad is so easy to operate that my 5 yr old daughter can pick it up and spend hours playing with it. That kind of simplicity can be a detriment to more advanced users, as demonstrated in recent posts, but there again advanced users are in the minority out there. You are correct that most folks ignore the optimization steps, but this once again proves my point. They DO ignore them - and end up paying someone to fix their machines.

As for a weak video engine... My old Dell was a mid-range system when I purchased it. Far from top of the line, but far from bottom too. It was spec'd rather well for XP at the time. When it was new, it was fast - but crawl set in like most Win users experience. Each time I'd wipe it and do a reinstall, it would be back to leaving skid marks on my desk for awhile - until the crawl would inevitably set in again. If the cause of the slowness was a weak video system, wouldn't it have been slow right from the start? I don't buy into that excuse.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)