AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This forum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 8/7/2011 21:03 (#1901192 - in reply to #1900480)
Subject: Re: This forum

What is the annual cost for this so-called "good" security package that you refer them to?

When I ran Windows exclusively, I never once paid for anti-virus programs. Not a single penny. I never got a virus either - but I was knowledgable about what to avoid. MOST users are not. I doubt the average joe would have had the luck I did. I also know that things have changed in the last 4 yrs since I switched to Mac and I probably couldn't get away with the freebies like I once did - especially since my kids have taken to using our systems.

But lets go back to the good ol' days - I knew what to avoid to keep from getting infected with my freebie anti-virus package. I was staying clean - but I still had problems with the notorious Windows crawl - the system slowing down unexplainably over time. That still happens - at very least with Vista - maybe even with Win 7, I don't know. It stands to reason that 7 would suffer the same ills since under the hood it is pretty much the same as Vista and XP were. Regardless, the average user typically does not know how to manage crawl and it would still require a trip to the PC doctor to get it back running in top form again. My point being - your so-called "good" security package MAY keep these systems from getting infected, but I bet it does nothing to prevent crawl. Still - money spent annually for a "good" security package and money spent every 1-2 years to clean the carbon out and keep the system running fast - neither of which is required on the Mac platform.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)