AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This forum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 8/7/2011 12:46 (#1900263 - in reply to #1900228)
Subject: Re: This forum

I would like to address that cost and security comment...

For starters, you get a whole lot more than built-in security with a Mac. They come with several very good software titles that would cost a great deal of money and time to find for a PC. Not all of them will be valuable to everyone, but I can bet that most everyone would find at least one or two very useful.

Next, you bring a Mac home, set it up, and start using it. With your PC, the VERY first thing you need to do is go looking for this so-called "good software" package to protect the unit. Where do you go looking? On the net of course. What can happen if you are on the net without a "good software" package? You can get infected. And it is widely known that NO single anti-virus suite is perfect - so even a "good software" package is vulnerable.

And lastly, even if you don't consider the free security benefits or the quality titles that come with a Mac, they hang in there a lot longer than a PC and have better resale if an owner decides to sell and buy a new one. By "hanging in there", I mean it takes WAY longer for a Mac to become obsolete than a PC. My previous personal computer prior to switching to Mac was a Dell. It was relatively cheap compared to a Mac at the time. I bought it, ran it for three years, did a RAM upgrade, and added a 2nd hard drive in that time. At the end of that three years, VISTA came out and that ol' Dell was instantly obsolete. Nothing I could do to it was going to make it work WELL with Vista. It was at that point I decided to try Mac. Ok, lets compare that to this iMac. Bought this computer in the fall of '07. This iMac is 4 yrs old and I've upgraded OS's four times now - Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, and now Lion. I JUST upgraded from 2 GB of RAM to 4 - that is the ONLY hardware upgrading I have had to do in four years to keep this machine running in top form - and I am rather impatient with lag/slow machines. Assuming it will likely be another 1 1/2 to 2 yrs before Apple has another major update to OS X, this iMac is set until then. So I will get at lease 5 1/2 to 6 yrs out of this machine before it becomes too outdated to keep a guy happy that hates waiting for a computer to do its thing. And considering the iMac is a consumer grade system much like the Dell was at the time, you can afford to pay TWICE as much for a Mac in comparison to a PC and not even have to figure the other benefits in. Pretty much a no brainer to me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)