AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insulating heated floor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 2/6/2011 09:38 (#1596310 - in reply to #1596259)
Subject: RE: Insulating heated floor

central - east central Minnesota -

tommy1993 - 2/6/2011 08:12 How our most of you insulating your heated floors. We are putting up a pole building and planning on cementing the floor after the building is up. What is the best way of insulating the perimeter in a pole building. Also i know some put insulation undr the floor and others do not. Would like to here your opinions on this. Building is 80X120X20 in western ND. R28 in walls in R44 in ceiling. Plan on keeping it around 50 degress all winter.

Ideally for ND climate and frost depth (about the same as here), It would be recommended to run the insulation down 4ft. The easiest way to do that would be trench it and then have the poles dug deeper (not sure how deep they go with 20ft sidewalls) in the trench. Then you backfill and pack in 6 or 8 in lifts/layers. The trench only needs to be as wide as the dirt sidewalls will support (sandy ground will require wider trench, clay narrower) the trench.
I would laser level the floor and place insulation on it also. It will save concrete and be a nice level solid footing for the insulation sheets.
Another option is to insulate down 2ft and out 4ft . . .  strip off the top soil 2ft down and 4ft out - like the diagram attatched. 4ft out keeps the frost from comming down and under the wing . . . . 

Edit: Heat going out the sides of the slab could be more then any heat lost under the floor with no insulation. I'd want the side insulated on something with that foot print.

Edited by iseedit 2/6/2011 09:48

(insulaton a.jpg)

(PA160098.JPG)

(PA190122.JPG)

(PA240139.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments insulaton a.jpg (22KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments PA160098.JPG (66KB - 159 downloads)
Attachments PA190122.JPG (67KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments PA240139.JPG (70KB - 202 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)