AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do you miss prepared by generations past ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

TractorAddict
Posted 1/25/2015 15:15 (#4337236 - in reply to #4335585)
Subject: RE: What do you miss prepared by generations past ?

West of Broken Bow
Many years ago, my family would drive up to my aunt and uncle's place in Oklahoma. My aunt would fix a huge meal with all kinds of sides and desserts. She really enjoyed cooking. It wasn't a get together that we had very often. One of the last times we all were there to sit down together for a meal, sure stands out the most. Not certain if the gathering was to celebrate something special.

It must have taken quite a lot of planning and cooking for my aunt to serve such a big meal with several relatives to feed. My uncle would bring a large galvanized livestock water trough and turn it upside down. Then my aunt would put a colorful table cloth over it and then put folding chairs all around it. The main dish was usually something comprised of fresh beef from my uncle's ranch and sometimes venison he'd shot himself. She'd fix meatloaf that was a mixture of beef and venison. There were lots of fresh vegetables served from the garden. I can still taste those big juicy tomatoes.

Nobody in the family could make cinnamon rolls like she could. Sweet, gooey and delicious mess. She baked all kinds of homemade pies and cakes just for that dinner. Doubt anyone got away from there without being stuffed. It was such a fun memory of years gone by for me. Think I'm the only one that reminisces about it. My aunt and uncle are long gone and that house just sits vacant now. All the cattle and land etc were sold off after Uncle Don passed. His kids weren't interested in ranching or continuing his boot and saddle shop business. I miss walking along the railroad tracks in town and going into his store.
Most of those old stone buildings are gone.

Edited by TractorAddict 1/25/2015 16:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)