AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for house situation thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dberry
Posted 12/11/2014 16:22 (#4233973)
Subject: Looking for house situation thoughts

Due to an increasing family have to get into a larger place next year, in a single wide trailer now. Current prices in the area are nuts. No
farmsteads available, everything in town is $200k + for a decent place, anything less is either a manufactured home 10+ years old
or in need of major renovations. So planning on purchasing a modular home and making a new yard at my farm. Not in an ideal place,
but its what is available and the wife likes the idea. North Central North Dakota is the climate.

Can get a 4 bedroom one, lower end built for a reasonable price since it is a unique situation on it. It is decent, and the wife likes it. Only  real
problems is the bedrooms are small and the siding, cupboards aren't that great, decent, but there are alot better out there.

If we put it on a crawlspace will the floor always be chilly like our trailer house?  Cost of a basement is large, but the crawlspace isn't
cheap either and worthless. Would you bite the bullet and put a basement under it even if you didn't really "need" it?  A basement would
put us at $220k, $20k above our set goal.  Going to do a breezeway and attached garage eventually,  but that will have to be down the road whenever $8 wheat comes back.

Looked at ordering a smaller house and utilizing the basement right away,  it would be a better house, but cost more than the 4 bedroom/
with crawlspace. Plus the basement would have to be finished right away for kids bedrooms.  Other options would be doing the crawlspace, then enlarging the breezeway portion,  or putting a loft above the garage (trying to get enough room for an office and place to put a pool table/ family room).

Local banks don't want anything to do with manufactured homes,  modulars on a crawlspace/basement are okay. For comparison I looked at buying a 30x50 manufactured home near my property. It was built as a cheap trailer house of 1996 vintage and needs serious updates,  asking price
of $140k.    Mine and the banks valuation came up at $70k.   But the guys real estate agent insisted it would sell for the big number.  Good luck with that, especially since he never surveyed his property and we just found out the house is half on my property and it will have to be moved. 

Anyway just want to get a few opinions as to what other s would choose and why. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)