AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why are Corn Yields so poor in the Mississippi Delta?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Farmspec
Posted 5/16/2021 06:51 (#9007553)
Subject: Why are Corn Yields so poor in the Mississippi Delta?

SE Arkansas
First of all, it’s not terrible. Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi average around 180 bpa. However, much of this Corn is in a rotation with Cotton or Soybeans on the very best land that frequently yields 70-80 bpa Soybeans and 3 bale Cotton. The rotation with Corn is responsible for these dynamite yields. However, a blowout farm average for Corn on this best ground is about 225 bpa. A good yield is 200 bpa and a poor average on this best land is around 180. The yields on heavier dirt are much lower, thus the 180 statewide averages. Almost all of the Corn in the Delta is grown on precision leveled ground and is furrow irrigated. So why can’t we grow the Top End yields like Iowa and Illinois on our very best Sandy Loam? The most obvious answer is that it’s hotter in the South and yield is lost during pollination. Can’t argue with that. But I think there is another important reason and here it is. After walking dozens of Corn Fields and watching Yield Monitors, it’s obvious to me that the high end of the fields yield much better than the lower end of the fields. The heavier the dirt, the larger the differential. Crops don’t like wet feet, but Corn seems to suffer more than Cotton or Soybeans. If this precision leveled ground had more fall, I think we would have a better result. Nothing worse than watering your Corn and then getting a 1-2 inch rain shorty thereafter. Also seems to me that our best yields occur in dry years. Noticed a lot more guys from down my way posting on NAT. What do you guys think?

Edited by Farmspec 5/16/2021 06:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)