AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop with living quarters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jdironman
Posted 3/6/2021 11:02 (#8876106 - in reply to #8875566)
Subject: RE: Shop with living quarters

Nw Iowa
We did something like you are thinking. Built a 50x80 14’ sidewall shed plus a 24x50 living quarters on the front 10’ high. Not the cheapest way to do it but sure like it. We actually lived in living quarters for almost 3 years while we designed and built our new house. It has a kitchenette in and small bathroom. Now used as a office and still use kitchenette as we ended up over time finishing whole building for shop and play area for grandkids. It costs more to do it this way but much more inviting and accessible and more usable down the road. You have fire escape windows all at ground level and we have cement poured around outside of building for the porch and a patio door. We used floor heat as feet are always cold on non heated concrete. You have to remember you will have stocking feet while watching tv etc. We had thought about double decking but building almost has to be 17’ high to get decent headroom on both floors and were worried about fire and upstairs that would just turn into unused storage area because hard to heat and hard to get up and down. Would get used when new but not very inviting down the road. ( every small town Main Street building had upstairs apartments no longer used) . I guess other suggestions is that for a 12’ overhead door you need a 14’ sidewall and I guess I would not go anything under 40’ wide even for small shop. You are thinking about tractor and feed wagon but not benches, tools, storage and a work area. Personally would not go under size of your other shop. Picture not the best but what I had on my phone. Other than tall popular tree in background behind shed this was a bean field about 12 years ago. Living quarters overlook a lake.

Edited by jdironman 3/6/2021 11:13

(321DB517-19EC-47A8-80A6-3313E7767856 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 321DB517-19EC-47A8-80A6-3313E7767856 (full).jpeg (124KB - 42 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)