AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader Insight & Seed Command: Checking Autoswath while moving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/27/2009 06:44 (#694340 - in reply to #694278)
Subject: RE: Fields with set boundaries.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
midwest - 4/26/2009 23:26

I was told that if you have a set boundary around the outside of your field that you could uncheck the auto swath just in case you planted outside the boundary.

Yes, that would be correct if you really want to plant outside the incorrect boundary.

If you have autoswath unchecked it will pay no attention to an outside or inside boundary. This is the very reason that I uncheck it when I have inexact boundaries which may be inside where I really want to plant.

For example, this year on my very first field planted, I had an old boundary but the South Side was about 40' too far North. When I planted the first pass on the South side I needed to have autoswath unchecked or the system would not have planted at all. Even on my second pass I had to leave autoswath unchecked since Section 4 of my planter was still outside the boundary. Sections 1, 2 & 3 were inside so they would plant. Once I got futher North where I was inside the sloppy boundary, I could recheck autoswath and operation on the Headlands was then automatic.

After rereading some of the above posts, I was reminded that the autoswath settings can be changed so that the system would stay ON when you are outside the Boundary. I was told at an Ag Leader training meeting that this setting would never be used.

It appears that this is a situation where this might be handy. This in effect might handle Lance's idea of selectively turning off the boundary feature. For planting, I'm starting to think that this would be a good idea. For spraying probably not. Then again that would defeat the inside boundary concept but hey I don't have any of them!

The reason being that a planter has an implement switch and that the operator would have the planter in the UP position which would prevent planting outside a boundary so the setting might just as well be set to apply outside the boundary - It aint' gonna happen anyway.

Changing this setting would be "more dangerous" for a sprayer without an implement switch. Also a sprayer is much more likely to swing out outside of the field. You probably wouldn't want the spray to come back on but if you have the Master OFF as I always suggest you would be OK anyway.

Back to the original post. I should be able to check this out on my simulator quite easily if I am able to get into the store today. I can easily watch my simulated section valves on my test stand to see if they quickly cylce when switching from Manual to Autoswath. My gut feeling at the moment is that they might but this might happen so quickly that the clutches might not have time to disengage.

Concerning the switch settings and operation: Some systems such as Raven's newest switchbox use a three position switch for the booms. The positions are ON (Disregard autoswath), Auto (Autoswath active) and OFF (no matter what). This give the operator many options. He can be certain what the various sections are going to do.

Edited by tedbear 4/27/2009 07:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)