AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AgLeader Insight & Seed Command: Checking Autoswath while moving
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/26/2009 11:02 (#693277 - in reply to #693238)
Subject: RE: AgLeader Insight & Seed Command: Checking Autoswath while moving

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
mx270a - 4/26/2009 09:33

It would be nice if the section control could be enabled/disabled for the separate pieces that it covers. In my mind, Outside boundaries, inside boundaries, and previously covered area are all separate objects, and thus you could ignore the outside boundary while you're on the headlands. This way you would just leave section control on all the time, and only use the outside boundary part once you're done with the headlands. Of course since a planter is picked up for the turn on the ends, you could probably ignore the outside boundary all the time.

-Lance

An implement with an implement switch (like a planter) has less problems with autoswath situations. I believe you are suggesting a way to selectively temporarily ignore certain criteria. That certainly could be done but might create more confusion for some operators. Even those of us who think we know what we are doing sometimes get confused.

The reason that I uncheck autoswath on the Headlands is that some of my boundaries are "old" and do not always correctly reflect the exact dimensions of this year's field. If I were doing the outer pass on the field or Headland, I might want to plant outside the old boundary. With autoswath checked the outside section might shutoff inappropriately.

This is actually quite unlikely in my case since I have my 12-30 planter in four sections. I would have to be outside the boudnary quite a distance before Section 1 or 4 would shutoff. I could/should probably just run with autoswath checked at all times.

Some might suggest making a new "correct" boundary. This could be done but usually it is not very handy for me to do this with the planter. This could more easily be done with the sprayer.

We had a few customers last year who ran with autoswath checked at all times and occasionally they had some problems when they first started out in a new field.

I have noticed on my simulator where I pipe in fake GPS from a PC that the system can get confused when it is uncertain of the initial direction of travel.

On a couple occasions where I was demonstrating a split planter scenario, the Left and Right halves of the planter were swapped. By this I mean that I picked Variety A for the Left (Green) and Variety B for the Right (Red). When I started the GPS simulator, the arrow moved as expected and laid down Red and Green pathes. The colors were reversed from what they should have been. After the planter moved across the screen, the colors did a switcharound and were then in the correct locations. Possibly this would never happen in the real world but it made an interesting map.

When using autoswath with a sprayer, I always advise shutting off the Master when the turning on the Headlands etc. The reason being that the sprayer does not have an implement switch and it is possible that the outer section of a boom actually pass outside the field over a sensitive area. If there is a slight gap between the Headland pass and the boundary, an outer section might come back on.

With the planter I do not use the Master switch on the ends, since it is unncessary because of the implement switch. Even if that should fail, the fact that the planter is raised will prevent planting.

I have used the Master when I switched varieties. I usually have turned around and stopped just prior to the next pass and lowered the planter. I then fill with the next variety and go back to the tractor. To switch varieties on the Insight, I need to shut off the Master (or raise the planter). I then switch varieties and take off. A couple of times, I forgot to switch the Master back on. I went down the field a short distance before I realized this. I then raised the planter up and went back to the end, turned on the Master and tried again.

Edited by tedbear 4/26/2009 11:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)