AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knee pain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/19/2021 12:41 (#8764030 - in reply to #8763610)
Subject: RE: Knee pain

Pittsburg, Kansas
Congratulations on your weight loss success and not having to wear the braces any more. Some will say it is because you lost weight. I know in my case the pain went away before much weight loss. So I know it was inflamation that was causing my pain and not specifically the weight.

I don't have a lot of information on alcohol. My understanding is it is processed by the liver like fructose.
Both fructose and alcohol, in large quantities, are good for giving a person fatty liver disease. That said, in modest or small amounts I think our body is perfectly able to handle it without much ill effects. It is not a health food for sure, but modest amounts probably do not hurt us too much.

I have never been a heavy drinker except for the summer between junior and senior in high school. Then it was hard liquior for me (I had a beard and could pass for 18 back in the day). Got it out of my system early. Other than that several month period I have never been a heavy drinker.

But up until a year or so ago I would have an ounce or two of rum in my diet soda at night. Not sure when I quit doing that, but it might have been around the time I quit the diet soda. I just kind of lost my taste for it. Was not really a conscious effort on my part. Just did not feel the urge for it. It may have just been my routine as much as anything. Have not had a drink in ages.

We will be traveling to our over winter spot in Bonaire early Feburary. There we meet lost of european and coastal friends. That usually means wine. And I will probably have a glass or two of wine a week in a social setting. I don't know if the diet change made me not desire to drink alcohol or if I am just more health consious now. But at any rate I have mostly set the alcohol aside.

Alcohol will not raise blood sugar much (the carrier of the alcohol such as a sweet wine or beer with the sugar/carbs can though) because it is ported directly to the liver and bypasses normal digestion. But that does not mean that it is not harmful. It is directly converted to fat in the liver. Fatty liver decreases the function of the liver and a bad liver is a bad deal. Eventually dialysis if it gets bad enough. But if a person only drinks modestly that likely would never be a problem.

I think where it would be a problem with me is the same problem I have with carbs. They are addictive to me. It is way to easy for me if I make a rare exception that it becomes a monthly exception. Then before I know it a weekly exception. Then a daily routine. It is way to easy for me to slip into old, bad routines. So for me is is more like alcoholism and being an alcoholic. It is better if I just consider myself a carboholic and avoid taking that first carb "drink". I have reached the point that none of it tempts me any more. I want to keep it that way. I will purposely eat a few extra carbs from time to time just to check my blood glucose levels and see how my pancreas beta cells are reacting. I had some the other night and they tasted "ok" but nothing that I craved or particularly wanted to eat again the next night. Pass the brisket and pork rinds please!

Here's rambling right back at ya!

John

Edited by John Burns 1/19/2021 12:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)