AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Wingman1963
Posted 9/4/2020 07:58 (#8475448 - in reply to #8472441)
Subject: RE: regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...

Gruver Tx
I was going to suggest a movie on Amazon I enjoyed called “The Biggest Little Farm.” It is filmed over 8 years as a couple takes over a broken down farm and restores it to its glory through regenerative practices. The take away for me that for every problem that arises there is a solution if we work with nature and not try to dominate it like industrial farming practices. Great discussion and interesting to read the thread.

I’m 57 and for me it’s just an awareness that I could do better than the gmo chemical commercial fertilizer merry go round I had been on for years.

I’m working at changing my practices to improved soil health and hopefully less inputs. I started this journey primarily because of failing gmo traits and herbicide resistance. Definitely a learning curve and takes time and being willing to fail.

I enjoyed Gabe Brown’s book “Dirt to Soil” and David Montgomery’s book “Bring the Soil Back to Life.” David’s book has a lot of history in it and explains to a large extent how we arrived at our modern industrial farming practices. It had a lot of history of previous civilizations and how they fell into ruin after destroying there farmland through centuries of plowing. One picture of Roman docks miles from the ocean now because of eroded soil filling the bay struck me.

Basf has already jumped on the bandwagon and have a cotton program where they will be able to trace the garment the consumer purchases back to an individual farmer or farm the cotton was grown on and the practices that were employed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)