AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bhrfarms
Posted 9/2/2020 20:24 (#8472792 - in reply to #8472613)
Subject: RE: regenerative ag vs sustainable ag Need your opinion...

Northeast Indiana
How exactly do you define soil health? I'm not saying its a bad thing, I just feel like the term is somewhat related to sustainability, meaning lots of things. Is the soil unhealthy just because certain characteristics can't be assigned to it? What if production on that soil keeps increasing despite not having those characteristics? Most soil health guys would say cover crops increase soil health, and I'm not against cover crops, but if I keep increasing my production without them and produce over the county averages, can you say with certainty that my soil is unhealthy or not as healthy as the soil next door that embraces certain "soil health" practices? I don't think there is a correct answer. I'm sure some soil is more healthy than others.
But is healthy defined by being more like the soil was when it was in its unadulterated form? By the production its capable of? Or some other narrowly defined terms? Soils naturally have different characteristics, so how do we decide what soil is healthy and what soil is unhealthy? We're all striving to do a better job for the most part. There are just many different ways to get there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)