AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tesla and electric car questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

badger@uw
Posted 9/1/2020 23:48 (#8471194 - in reply to #8470653)
Subject: Base load capacity, other questions answered

East Troy, WI

Electric vehicles will require primarily base load capacity which by and large in recent years have been filled by natural gas turbine. Both political parties have strongly supported new nuclear designs as part of their platform . No matter who wins in November, it's likely going to be a good decade for nuclear power plant builders. modular reactors and other novel designs are clearing regulatory hurdles for new construction and somewhere around 30 or so are already permitted to begin construction. I do have some concern about increasing price in electricity however the cheap cost of solar will likely keep that in check through market forces. That leaves increased baseload as a way to decrease overhead cost per kilowatt-hour delivered by increasing utilization in overnight hours.

My overnight rate on time of use tariff is around 6 cents per kilowatt hour and all electric vehicles have some time of use feature to take advantage of this. Some market overnight rate is even cheaper. Therefore my energy cost is around $2 per hundred miles.

Interesting and unexpected feature about owning a Tesla has been the lack of depreciation. I don't know how much longer that's going to be the case but I have lost no value in my car in the past 12 months. It might to some degree reflects decrease maintenance but due to the ongoing updates in general demand they are not losing value. I only wish that the model 3 had more aluminum sheeting like the flagship model s and model x.

I find it interesting that the Tesla semi is going to be priced around a hundred fifty thousand .... Isn't too bad for any brand new class 8 truck. For those curious, I continue to believe in ethanol liquid fuels and continue my efforts in using this superior , renewable liquid fuel.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)