AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

‘WINNING!!!’
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 6/27/2020 12:55 (#8339246 - in reply to #8338750)
Subject: RE: ‘WINNING!!!’

North Central Illinois
We have had two fields go over 300 in recent years so no I don't stop at 285. I'm just saying 285 is easily attainable so why stop there if more bushels generates more revenue than it costs to raise it? Pick whatever number you want. Trying to figure a way to spend less and raise less is not going to be a winning proposition for most operations. If that is the way you want to run your operation fine but don't expect the rest of us to do it as well. I know how to run a calculator and use a pencil and paper. If it was costing me more to raise the extra bushels than the extra return I wouldn't do it. That is not the case. Your Vegas analogy is spot on. Farming is gambling each and every year. If you don't realize that you haven't been farming very long or you are in the wrong business. The path to prosperity is not sitting there trying to decide how much I should try to raise. You can do things to lower your yield but you will lose because your neighbors are not going to do the same thing. I've been farming for over 40 years and have paid for a lot of land and other frivolous crap. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe what I have been doing has been working for the most part? I have made my share of mistakes but planning for failure by plotting to raise poorer crops has not been among them and will not be. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)