AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with a 4020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

stearman42
Posted 4/10/2020 20:22 (#8179322 - in reply to #8173857)
Subject: RE: Farming with a 4020

I have done exactly what you are consdering doing.

I started with an early 4020 and 6 row 7000 JD and a NH baler. Some might knock it or try to steer you away from it because it's a "collector tractor", "green", or some other reason, but I wouldn't do anything other then what I did. I have 2-3+ friends that also started with an early model 4020. Here's why:

Deere made a ton of them. That means a number of things. They are easier to find (you can find a pre-side console 4020 for 9k-11k around here in decent field-usable condition), but also easy to find parts for. This is extremely important when it is your only tractor. When youre broke down, youre DOWN. Smaller operators arn't on the top of the list for getting service done by custom guys. Don't count on them to bail you out when you're down.

Getting it fixed and getting it fixed quickly is essential, especially if you're going to jump in the hay business (hay around here is sold on quality. Don't bother if you can't make quality). I can make 3-5 phone calls and have the part I need off the shelf, and/or someone to fix it if it's a job I don't have the current capabilities I need to fix it within an hour or 2 or a 20 min. trip.

Deere used interchangable parts on a lot of the new generation tractors. 4020 and 4320 share parts, 2510 is made up of a 2020 engine and modified 3020 rear, the 4000 Deere is made up of a 4020 engine and 3020 rear, etc. etc. for other New Generation models too. Mother Deere still continues OE parts service for a lot of these because they are still in the field. Better yet, aftermarket wear parts abound and salvage yards have plenty of inventory fairly priced (most times). Around here, a lot of our younger generation mechanics cut their teeth on 4020's and similars in Dad's and Grandpa's shops. They know them inside and out. I trust some of the independent mechanic guys I know more then I trust my Deere dealer's mechanics, because they've done more work on them!

Another thing to think about, a 4020 is a good place to start, but I quickly aquired an additional tractor at half the size to cut down on fuel consumption for the smaller jobs which greatly improved efficiency, and also gave me another option to shuffle equipment around and move things if I was working on the 4020 or it was down.

I haven't looked back and continue to move forward, and I started with a 4020.

Edited by stearman42 4/10/2020 20:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)