AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming with a 4020
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TheGleaner
Posted 4/9/2020 01:57 (#8175195 - in reply to #8173857)
Subject: RE: Farming with a 4020

ND
Get a 5088/5288/5388 or 86 series. I have a uncle who farms in the valley there with a 1086. 2000 acres with a 12(?) Row planter. Works fine for him. Also works fine for pulling a cart. He pulls 30+ cultivators and chisel plows but then you're just scratching the surface there, if he is doing actual plowing/chiseling he's in the teens.

Hay crops, unless there's alot if farms by you, are a bad idea. 40 years ago it would have been a good idea as everyone had cows.

Don't worry about implement size, get a good tractor first. You can pull a one bottom plow with a 1086 or 4020. My grandpa, if still alive, would say get a cab, as he got what's called farmer's lung, basically the same thing coal miners get, only from dust.

I'd go with an IH 88 series. Everything except for the park lock is on one side then. Partial powershift then too, no ta, so no ta problems (even though those don't cause problems if you use them right). 4020 is like looking at a original Farmall, Farmall letter or number series. Everyone wants one because it was the tractor that put that company on the map, and are expensive as a result. Not saying they're bad, but why a 4020 anyways when you could even buy a Versatile for the same price?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)