AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smuggled pork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Abomb
Posted 4/12/2019 16:34 (#7435705 - in reply to #7435680)
Subject: RE: Smuggled pork

That’s been my thought for quite some time. A double stock w/f barn gets infected in Illinois today. They take those feeder pigs to a site in Iowa. The next day that truck is in Minnesota loading fat hogs to go to Nebraska. The trailer got “washed” somewhat and the trucker is wearing the same boots. Now he goes to a sow unit in Missouri to take weaners to Kansas. Well the truck just drug it around 6 states and the janitor in the first barn is wondering if he should tell the field man about all the pigs that died today. All the trucking hogs get is just a massive window for infection if you ask me. Maybe not how the first barn will get infected but how the heck are we going to contain it. 72 hours is a long time when you think about how many hog trucks are zig zagging around the country every day. Like I’ve said by the time we realize we have it, it very well could already be in ten states. Multi site is great for cleaning out a disease, our single site is screwed at trying to eliminate prrs. Although I think it played a big part in how we stayed negative for so long when everyone around us was battling it.

Edited by Abomb 4/12/2019 16:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)