AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smuggled pork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

LODI
Posted 4/12/2019 14:12 (#7435509 - in reply to #7435352)
Subject: RE: Smuggled pork

eastern Nebraska
The OP was asking if the smuggled pork was an attempt at bio-terrorism, I was told the US gov't doesn't believe that to be that case at this point in time. Should have left it at that. But down the path of "what if," it is my understanding that the widespread occurrence of PEDv is believed to have been possible primarily through the pathway of imported contaminated animal feed ingredients. The studies that proved this was not only possible, but likely, at that point in time, also tested other viruses, including ASF. We now have significantly longer holding periods for imported feed ingredients than we did at the time of the PEDv outbreak. Are there other pathways, sure. Rodents, birds, and humans can carry it ON their bodies, but not IN their bodies. Maybe it can travel through the air more easily than we think at this point in time. But one would think the rapid spread snout-to-snout or by other direct contact across farms is far less likely in the US than in Asia. It is obviously a concern, which is why we've been so proactive to identify and protect possible pathways. I've been trying to find out more on the topic, so feel free to add. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)