AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smuggled pork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

mikado
Posted 4/12/2019 15:26 (#7435596 - in reply to #7435509)
Subject: RE: Smuggled pork

SW WI
I get what your saying about our confinement and bio security. China and now Vietnam the backyard pigs roaming all over was an easy conduit. In Europe it’s the wild boar population ( for some odd reason the wild boars do not respect clear national boundaries, just meander across the border, who would of thunk it)

So with our integrated multi site system, we always ask ourselves, is that bio security from any outbreak, or is the seemingly non stop transportation of Weeners, feeders, market, and culls, just a non stop chain that you can’t isolate a virus.

At any bio security chain there will be a bottleneck. I’m going to visit Johnny, he doesn’t want me bringing any bug to his farm. Of course I won’t wear my pig chore clothes or boots. I will shower before leaving. Does my pickup contain a bug? Does showering adaquately “wash” it off my person? Did somehow my chore clothes contaminate “clean” clothes? Is vehicle traffic itself a conduit?

Ok, ok doomsday scenario...but given the battle with pprs, how it mutates, if that happens with ASF, that would bring a new level of hell to hog producers.

Edit: I should add, I have extreme confidence in our veterinary profession. They are working hard to keep this thing out. I hope everyone in the support industries of hog production take it very seriously.

Edited by mikado 4/12/2019 15:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)