AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good news from Washington for a change
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 3/14/2019 13:29 (#7380229 - in reply to #7380031)
Subject: RE: Good news from Washington for a change

Southeast Colorado
We're in the exact same situation. When we started we obviously didn't hit any payment limits. Then as we grew our operation we started hitting limits. Initially it wasn't by much, but the folks at FSA mentioned that most folks added the wife. We didn't add her then because it was just a small amount. Later on as our operation grew it became a substantial amount. We talked about it and chose to just say no. My Dad and Mom were city folks and when they started farming Dad joined into the regular farming game and signing up for payments. As time went on it really bothered him the way that most farmers worked the system. After 20 years of doing that and when he and Mom finally got out of debt he got out of all the programs. The last 10 years he refused his payments. I haven't figured out how to wean myself off of them yet............but wish I could. I feel a little better sleeping at night knowing I'm leaving something over there. It may not be a big deal in the grand scheme.............but it's what we choose. And I'd put my wife's farm work ethic against anyones. She does all of the combining, swathing, and a majority of all the tractor driving. She also helps tend the cows. I do the spraying, run the grain cart since we bag our grain, the trucking, and keep the irrigation equipment operating. There is just the two of us and I couldn't hire better help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)