AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Want to help young/small farmers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dittfarms
Posted 1/26/2019 13:51 (#7274247 - in reply to #7273623)
Subject: RE: Want to help young/small farmers?

ottertail co mn
Well, what do you want to do?

Corn beans
Hay
Livestock
Organic
Vegetables

That would be the starting point.

Then if you decide truely know that you are probably gonna have a tough time of it for 20 years.
You probably have to be willing to move
You probably have to give up a lifestyle that you had
You probably are gonna have to work your arse off for little pay
You probably are gonna have days that you absolutely wish you had you old lifestyle back

I started farming 100% on my own in 2007 with 165 acres and I did a lot of custom work.
If you truely want to be a farmer figure it out instead of crying that young people can't start farming.
I know several young people that are struggling to be farmers but guess what they are not whining, they are going out and trying. It's really easy to complain you can't do something but if you truely want something you will get it done. You may go broke, you may have to change direction several times, but telling me you can't get started is telling me that you have no desire.

Every thing I do in life I have done because have desire, that desire will be what probably kills me at a young age.

If you want to be a farmer and have a cushy job in town that you don't dare leave because you aren't willing to give up something to make it work than you are nothing more than a wanna be

If you wanna be a farmer figure out how to get it done. There are programs galore to give young beginning farmers a chance.

If you want to be an extremely wealthy young farmer who wants what the guys in their 60's and 70's have well then you probably aren't going to make it. If you are willing to sacrifice well then you might be that guy in 30 years.

Talking about wanting to be a farmer doesn't equate to nothing but talk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)