AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Top 10 worst tractors?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 1/12/2019 16:18 (#7240275 - in reply to #7239443)
Subject: RE: Top 10 worst tractors?

Haven't had time to read all the threads but in the original post it was mentioned that the 560 was the beginning of the downfall of IH. I will have to disagree with that statement. Talking to several of the older farmer in this area a few years ago that I knew ran IH tractors back in the '50 and later switched to JD I asked them the resons behind the switch. To the person they all said the IH gas start diesels, ie: MD,SMD,SMD-TA, 400D, 450D, were the reason for switching. Those tractors were notorious for cracked heads. Doesn't seem to get the publicity of the 560 rear end issues, which btw was n the early production 560 & updated by IH.

I grew up on IH, and except for an occasional JD - 4010%, 4640, & a 8310, we still are red. My personal "most disliked IH" were the 66, 86 series. I owned 2 10066s, a '75, & a '76, bith bought new. Also owned a 1086 & a 14896, both bought used. Those 4 tractors about broke me on upkeep. The '75 10 had major trans issues from day one, had less than 50 hours on it, spent the majority of the time in the dealers shop, when traded the next year for the '76. The '76 had everything from behind the tranny replaced byt the time I traded it for the 1486, The 14 had 6 or 7 hyd pumps put in it before a mechanic found a pin hole in the uptake tube just above the fill mark allowing it to suck air into the pump. Also had the rear end rebuilt in it with less than 1,000 hrs. The 1986 had 5 TAs in three years, one went out on the way home from the dealer after just being replaced. Could add a 3588 that the hyd pump went out on the way home from the dealer for a demo while a TA was being put in the 1066 but won't count it as I didn't own the tractor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)