AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Urea going up, beans are worthless.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Beefbiz
Posted 9/20/2018 00:49 (#6998017 - in reply to #6997636)
Subject: RE: Urea going up, beans are worthless.

all over Iowa

DDGs don't have the energy of beans pound for pound, but 1.44# of DDGs would have more energy than a pound of beans.

Amino acids are overrated in fed cattle rations IMO. Microbial protein is what's going to fuel the gain, and rumen microbes really like nitrogen they don't have to break down (aka urea).

I was comparing the cost of the DDGs laid in, so the fact the beans are in the bin is immaterial. If you want to discount your beans a basis to the local elevator than you should do the same on your corn.

DDGs are overpriced compared to where they once were, that's driven by the international demand on all proteins. But they're still a better cost per unit of protein than the soybeans. And the use of soybeans throws the baby out with the bathwater in the form of urea - still the best cost per unit of protein.

I just balanced two finishing rations, same energy level and same protein level, same minerals, VTMs, and Rumensin, and same dry matter.
One with MWDGs, liquid balancer (50% CP), corn silage, cracked corn and a little dry hay.
The other with 10% raw beans, dry balancer (no urea), corn silage, cracked corn and the same amount of dry hay.
The ration with the beans was $13.69/ton of DM higher than the ration with MWDGs.  That would be nearly $30/hd on a yearling program.
For the comparison MWDGs was $70/ton laid in and the beans were $7.10/bu (Beresford closing bid today).

Even if I drop the beans 31 cents a bu to 6.80, the ration with the beans is still $12.35 higher than the ration with modified.
If I don't force the beans into the ration, the program won't even use them because of the cost vs the nutrition. The shadow price on the beans is about $5/bu.

I understand you're pissed at both the ethanol plant and the bean bids. You can give the feed guy the finger, but your cheating yourself out of $2/bu to do it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)